A work in progress for the readers of

MARGOT PENFIELD

A Post Edwardian Mystery Novel

&

THE WITNNESS IN BLACK

A Short Story

- Points of Interest for the Traveler to Britain -

In authoring the story of our heroine, Margot Penfield we have drawn upon many of our own life experiences.  In so doing, we included persons, places and things that existed in the era when our fictional account of our heroine and her story would have actually taken place.   What follows here is a selection of Points of Interest that we have created for this, Margot's first adventure.   Who knows, you may enjoy visiting these special places in your own travels to Britain.  Link

Best wishes,
Frances and Jeffrey Moorhouse

p.s. We welcome your email comments sent to pubs@MuirHouse.net

Chorleywood

Chorleywood is a village and civil parish in the Three Rivers district of Hertfordshire in the United Kingdom.   The town lies in the south west of Hertfordshire, on the border with Buckinghamshire.  Chorleywood is located 20 mile north-west of Eleanor's Monument at Charing Cross in London.  It is part of the London commuter belt, and included in the government-defined Greater London Urban Area.  In a survey of neighborhoods carried out by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, Chorleywood was found to be the neighborhood in England with the highest quality of life.   Link to further information

 

Members of the Chorleywood Cricket Club have been playing on The Common for nearly 200 years and, for passers-by in the summer months, the sight of a cricket match in progress as they drive or walk through Chorleywood is always a quintessential British occasion. The club is a thriving local success story that has had a glorious history, a successful present and, thanks to a dedicated membership who want to ensure the legacy of the club for years to come, exciting plans for the future.  Link: Chorleywood Cricket Club


English Dressage
Dressage a French term, most commonly translated to mean "training") is a competitive equestrian sport, defined by the International Equestrian Federation as "the highest expression of horse training", where "horse and rider are expected to perform from memory a series of predetermined movements."[1] Competitions are held at all levels from amateur to the World Equestrian Games. Its fundamental purpose is to develop, through standardized progressive training methods, a horse's natural athletic ability and willingness to perform, thereby maximizing its potential as a riding horse. . At the peak of a dressage horse's gymnastic development, the horse will respond smoothly to a skilled rider's minimal aids.. The rider will be relaxed and appear effort-free while the horse willingly performs the requested movement. Dressage is occasionally referred to as "Horse Ballet"   Dressage has ancient roots in Europe and was first recognized as an important equestrian pursuit during the Renaissance. The great European riding masters of that period developed a sequential training system that has changed little since then.   Link to further information


Belgravia
Belgravia is a district of central London in the City of Westminster and the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Noted for its immensely expensive residential properties, it is one of the wealthiest districts in the world.  Much of it, known as the Grosvenor Estate, is still owned by a family property company, the Grosvenor Group, owned by the Duke of Westminster.  The district lies mostly to the south-west of Buckingham Palace, and is approximately bounded by Knightsbridge to the north (the street of that name, not the district), Grosvenor Place and Buckingham Palace Road to the east, Pimlico Road to the south, and Sloane Street to the west. Link to further information

Pall Mall
Pall Mall is a street in the City of Westminster, London, and parallel to The Mall, from St. James's Street across Waterloo Place to the Haymarket; while Pall Mall East continues into Trafalgar    Link to further information


London Coliseum & English National Opera
Frank Matcham designed The London Coliseum for Sir Oswald Stoll with the intent of it being the largest and finest ‘People’s palace of entertainment’ of the age.   The resulting programme was a mix of music hall and variety theatre, with one act - a full scale revolving chariot race - requiring the stage to revolve. The theatre’s original slogan was PRO BONO PUBLICO (For the public good). It was opened in 1904 and the inaugural performance was a variety bill on 24 December that year.  The London Coliseum has the widest proscenium arch in London (55 feet wide and 34 feet high – the stage is 80 feet wide, with a throw of over 115 feet from the stage to the back of the balcony) and was one of the first theatres to have electric lighting. A range of modern features included electric lifts for patrons, a roof garden and an Information Bureau in which physicians or others expecting urgent telephone calls or telegrams could leave their seat numbers and be immediately informed if required.   Link to further information

English National Opera

ENO is creating the future of opera: presenting award winning work that is new, exciting and surprising.  Collaborating with creative talent from across the arts we stage more new productions and contemporary opera than any other UK opera company.  We have a world class reputation for distinctive and highly theatrical productions which has resulted in many high profile artistic partnerships with opera houses and festivals around the world, including the Metropolitan Opera, New York and Bayerische Staatsoper, Munich.  We are committed to creating new audiences for opera through English language performances which are affordable and accessible to everyone. We provide unique opportunities and pathways for British singers, conductors, directors and designers.   
Link to further information

Sadler's Wells Theatre
Sadler's Wells Theatre is a performing arts venue located in Rosebery Avenue, Clerkenwell in the London Borough of Islington. The present day theatre is the sixth on the site since 1683. It consists of two performance spaces: a 1,500 seat main auditorium and the Lilian Baylis Studio, with extensive rehearsal rooms and technical facilities also housed within the site. Sadler's Wells is one of the United Kingdom's foremost dance venues and producing houses, with a number of associated artists and companies who produce original works for the theatre. Sadler's Wells is also responsible for the management of the Peacock Theatre in the West End
.
Link to further information

Theatre Royal Haymarket
Theatre Royal Haymarket is a West End theatre in the Haymarket in the City of Westminster which dates back to 1720, making it the third-oldest London playhouse still in use.
Link to further information
 

Royal Albert Hall
The Royal Albert Hall is a concert hall on the northern edge of South Kensington, in the City of Westminster, London, England, best known for holding the annual summer Proms concerts since 1941.  Link to further information

Burlington Arcade   
The longest and most beautiful covered shopping street in Britain, the Burlington Arcade has been heralded as an historic and architectural masterpiece and a true luxury landmark in London ever since it was first unveiled to great acclaim in 1819. As one of Britain’s first shopping arcades, it has led the way in retail trends and remains a pioneer to this day. Today, every window reveals inspiring treasures – from timeless collectibles to more contemporary style and design. Diamonds flash in both antique and contemporary settings alongside the warmer glow of pearls and other rare gemstones, vintage watches mark the passage of time alongside a striking rainbow of the finest leather accessories, gleaming silver, writing materials, bespoke footwear and the melting softness of cashmere.  Quite simply, the Burlington Arcade is the epitome of luxury: from its discreet location set back from the packed thoroughfares of the capital, visitors can enjoy impeccable service and unparalleled specialist knowledge, uncovering rare examples of some of the world’s finest accessories. For those who know – the discerning aesthete – there is no finer place to shop.  Link to further information

Cecil Court
Cecil Court is a pedestrian street with Victorian shop-frontages in London, England linking Charing Cross Road and St. Martins' Lane St. Martin's Lane.  Since the 1930s it has been known as the new Booksellers' Row and it is sometimes used as a location by film companies.  In 2011, the President of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association, Laurence Worms, described the street as an "Island of Civilization" in contemporary London.  One of the older thoroughfares in Covent Gardens, Cecil Court dates back to the end of the 17th century and earlier maps clearly identify a hedgerow running down the street's course. A tradesman's route at its inception, it later acquired the nickname Flicker Alley from the concentration of early film companies in the Court.  Link: www.cecilcourt.co.uk/

Dulwich Picture Gallery

Stanislaus Augustus, the last King of Poland, commissioned Noël Desenfans and Sir Francis Bourgeois RA, two successful London art dealers, to build a Royal Collection for Poland. In 1795, before they could complete the deal, Poland was partitioned by its powerful neighbour, Catherine the Great of Russia, his ex-lover. The King was forced to into exile, and the dealers were left with a Royal Collection on their hands.  Unable to sell it, they left the collection to Dulwich College in 1811 under the terms of Bourgeois’ will, stating that it should be available for the ‘inspection of the public’.  Bourgeois left another condition in his will: that the architect for the new gallery should be his friend, Sir John Soane (1754-1837). The brief was not just to build a gallery for the pictures, but also almshouses for six old ladies (now exhibition rooms) and a mausoleum for its founders. The challenge was irresistible. Soane turned up at Dulwich the very day after Bourgeois' death.  The building has influenced the design of art galleries ever since. 

The Collection • The paintings provide a perfect introduction to art in the age of Baroque. The outstanding collection of seventeenth and eighteenth century old master paintings includes major works by Rembrandt, Van Dyck, Murillo, Poussin, Watteau, Gainsborough, Rubens, Tiepolo and Canaletto. Around three hundred and fifty works are on permanent display. The Gallery also mounts a series of international loan exhibitions, which contribute to its reputation as an important venue for art lovershttp://www.dulwichpicturegallery.org.uk/default.aspx

 

 

Highlights of more places to come..... 

St. Martins in the Fields

Picadilly

Bond street

Temple Place on the Embankment 

Fleet Street

The Strand

Charing Cross Hotel

Eleanor's Monument

Midland Grand Hotel at St. Pancras Station

Savoy Hotel

Grosvenor Victoria Hotel

Great Eastern Hotel

Simpsons on the Strand

Adams style Ceilings (Robert Adams)

Christ Church Cathedral Oxford

Trafalgar Square

London Underground

Scotland Yard

Marylebone Station

Charing Cross Station

Liverpool Street Station

MI5

Oxford

Oxford Martyrs Memorial Oxford

Oxford Museum

Oxford Bridge

Oxford Library

Isle of Canna

Inverness

Station Hotel Inverness

Kyle of Lochalsh

Kyle of Lochalsh Hotel

Isle of Skye

Turnberry

Preswick Golf Club

Royal Troon

Macrihanish

 

 

 

It has been suggested that the street was named after Robert Cecil, 1st Earl of Salisbury, the 1st Earl of Salisbury, an important courtier to Queen Elizabeth I and renowned as a trailblazing spymaster. However, it seems to be one of a number of nearby streets and places that have been named for the land-owning family including Cranbourn Street and the Salisbury pub on St Martin's Lane.

 


 

 

 

Trafalgar Square ...

is a public space and gathering place for Londoners and visitors alike in Central London, built around the area formerly known as Charing Cross. It is in the borough of the City of Westminster. At its centre is Nelson's Column, which is guarded by four lion statues at its base. There are a number of statues and sculptures in the square, with one plinth displaying changing pieces of contemporary art. The square is also used for political demonstrations and community gatherings, such as the celebration of New Year's Eve.

The name commemorates the Battle of Trafalgar (1805), a British naval victory of the Napoleonic Wars over France. The original name was to have been "King William the Fourth's Square", but George Ledwell Taylor suggested the name "Trafalgar Square".[1]

In the 1820s, George IV engaged the architect John Nash to redevelop the area. Nash cleared the square as part of his Charing Cross Improvement Scheme. The present architecture of the square is due to Sir Charles Barry and was completed in 1845.

Trafalgar Square is owned by the Queen in Right of the Crown, and managed by the Greater London Authority, while Westminster City Council owns the roads around the square, including the pedestrianised area of the North Terrace.[2]

 

The square consists of a large central area with roadways on three sides, and a terrace to the north, in front of the National Gallery. The roads around the square form part of the A4 road.The square was formerly surrounded by a one-way traffic system, but works completed in 2003 reduced the width of the roads and closed the northern side to traffic.[3]

Nelson's Column is in the centre of the square, flanked by fountains designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens in 1937-9 as replacements for two earlier fountains of Peterhead granite (now in Canada), and guarded by four monumental bronze lions sculpted by Sir Edwin Landseer. The column is topped by a statue of Horatio Nelson, the vice admiral who commanded the British Fleet at Trafalgar.

On the north side of the square is the National Gallery and to its east St Martin-in-the-Fields church. The square adjoins The Mall entered through Admiralty Arch to the southwest. To the south is Whitehall, to the east Strand and South Africa House, to the north Charing Cross Road and on the west side Canada House.   http://www.london.gov.uk/priorities/art-culture/trafalgar-square

 

Simsons on the Strand

For a true taste of all that is best in British cuisine there is no finer dining establishment than Simpson's-in-the-Strand. Only the finest seasonal ingredients are used by Master Cook Gerry Rae in a Bill of Fare that offers a wide range of classical dishes, including the best Roast Beef and Lamb in the country, and game in season. Roasts are carved at guests’ tables, from antique silver-domed trolleys, by Simpson's Master Carvers in a perfect example of restaurant theatre. Simpson's also serves the Great British Breakfast on weekdays, with the 'Ten Deadly Sins' for trencherman appetites.    http://www.simpsonsinthestrand.co.uk/index.php

 

Simpson's-in-the-Strand is one of London's most historic landmark restaurants and has been offering classic British dishes to its delighted patrons for over 170 years.

Originally opened in 1828 as a chess club and coffee house - The Grand Cigar Divan - Simpson's soon became known as the "home of chess", attracting such chess luminaries as Howard Staunton the first English world chess champion through its doors. It was to avoid disturbing the chess games in progress that the idea of placing large joints of meat on silver-domed trolleys and wheeling them to guests' tables first came into being, a practice Simpson's still continues today. One of the earliest Master Cooks insisted that everything in the restaurant be British and the Simpson's of today remains a proud exponent of the best of British food. Famous guests include Vincent Van Gogh, Charles Dickens, Sherlock Holmes, George Bernard Shaw, Benjamin Disraeli and William Gladstone.

OXFORD

http://www.oxfordcityguide.com/ee2/index.php

http://www.ashmolean.org/

http://www.oxford.gov.uk/museumofoxford